This blog is dedicated to the life and times of an extraordinary dog named Guinness.
All of you who knew Guinness know that I've always told him he has Puppy Powers. Despite losing his right hind leg to bone cancer (osteosarcoma) early this year, Guinness continued to be his same good-natured, food-loving, gentle, yet silly self right to the end. It was during this time his Puppy Powers turned into Pirate Puppy Powers!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

So much to say!

Once again, I'm sorry I am so behind in writing this. At least there is a lot to say!

So, when we last left off, Guinness had been removed from the Ohio State study due to his intolerance to carboplatin. I had made an appointment for his recheck, and by Monday the prednisone was obviously helping. He looked so much better even by Sunday. He dragged me into the clinic to see Wendy and all the other great ACOCers, and waited patiently while they got the results of his blood work. In the meantime, he got to meet another lab, a chocolate lab, who was in the waiting room. He was very excited about that.

I'm happy to say that his bloodwork came back with thumbs up, and he is now able to continue on with his treatment. I called the other day and set up an appointment locally with an oncologist for treatment with another drug called doxorubicin. He will be going in this coming Monday (5 days from now).

He's doing great still, and now we are all getting to see Guinness's appetite supercharged from the prednisone. As if he needed to be any more food obsessed (mom, you were right...he does have the prednisone eyes!) Yesterday, because of a snack left upstairs unattended, Guinness actually made it up the stairs to the family room entirely on his own for the first time since his surgery. He's single minded about food. Or single-er than ever!

That's it in a nutshell...hanging in there, he's doing good, just waiting to finish up the treatment so he can just be. I'm extremely encouraged by how well he's been dealing with each hurdle we've come across during this whole process, and so grateful that so far there has been no signs of any cancer spreading into his lungs or elsewhere.

Unless I have any hunts for stuffed animal eyeballs, any Monty Python-esque events, or other news, I will probably update next after his appointment on Monday, so stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome!! Sorry it took so long...
    I have another happy anecdote to share. Tonight Guinness got out his kong toy and for the first time in a while he dropped it in front of me, waiting for me to try to take it away (his favorite game). He hasn't done that in a while. Plus he jumped up and took a pan off the counter while we were out of the house. I really think the prednisone is making him hungry and feel good. It's the ole Guinness I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever think you'd be happy to see him eat the unattended snacks and tip pans off the counter!?!?

    Thanks for the post. You guys are doing an AWESOME job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never Casey, but you're right, I am actually very happy to see him do this now! :)

    ReplyDelete