This blog is dedicated to the life and times of an extraordinary dog named Guinness.
All of you who knew Guinness know that I've always told him he has Puppy Powers. Despite losing his right hind leg to bone cancer (osteosarcoma) early this year, Guinness continued to be his same good-natured, food-loving, gentle, yet silly self right to the end. It was during this time his Puppy Powers turned into Pirate Puppy Powers!

Friday, August 21, 2009

Hard post to make


Once again I've let some time go by between posts, and over all it's been a good thing. Guinness went through his third round of chemotherapy and did well for the first several days, no more vomiting, no other adverse reactions to report.

But over the past week or so, I've noticed him start to decline once again. Both my mom and my dear friend visited a day apart, and both noticed changes in him that I was suspecting as well. His energy is very low, and I've just made note that it's been several days since he's greeted anyone at the door like a wookie. He's been sleeping a lot, only getting up to beg for food, which I assume is the prednisone talking, and he's also appearing to have lost some weight, or possibly just some muscle mass. In either event, he's not quite the same at all.

I have been thinking long and hard about things, and I have decided to bring him in to our friends at Animal Clinic of Chardon to have him weighed and checked, possibly a blood draw to see where he's at, and I will also ask if a chest x-ray is appropriate. I have also decided I would like to discuss the possibility of cutting his chemotherapy entirely. The fact that he has not one, but two more rounds left gives me a knot in my stomach, and I am beginning to realize that perhaps this is a "gut feeling" in the literal sense.

The good news is he has had three rounds out of the original prescribed four, so I am hopeful if he can pull out of this funk he can have some more good days ahead. Last I knew his chest was still clear, and I hope that is still the case.

Tomorrow will tell...but I do know he needs to be looked at to figure out what to do next. I promise to update as soon as there is any news, and any decisions to continue to treat or not treat.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, poor guy. :( The plan to bring him in to the clinic sounds like a good one though. Hopefully that will help you figure out next steps. Hang in there Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nicole...thanks for being such a good e-mommy to Guinness, too, it means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear sweetie. I'm sorry you having tough Pirate Pup days. Sending Guiness and you some extra special well wishes.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete