This blog is dedicated to the life and times of an extraordinary dog named Guinness.
All of you who knew Guinness know that I've always told him he has Puppy Powers. Despite losing his right hind leg to bone cancer (osteosarcoma) early this year, Guinness continued to be his same good-natured, food-loving, gentle, yet silly self right to the end. It was during this time his Puppy Powers turned into Pirate Puppy Powers!

Monday, August 10, 2009

Here we are, the big day #3

I'm happy to report, for those of you who don't know yet, that Guinness has rebounded enough from the Carboplatin reaction that he was able to receive a dose of the Doxorubicin today. His counts were just enough, barely, but enough to allow the doctor to go forward. He also remarked that Guinness's color (his gums and tongue, as he was checking for anemia) looked much better than two weeks ago.

I sat in the office and watched as a big thunder storm rolled in over Lake Erie off in the distance while he was in the next room getting his treatment, and within 30 minutes they were finished, and Guinness was dragging the doctor back down the hall to me. He's had it with all the visits and wants out as fast as he can, not happy with being there but still tolerating everything and as always still is very friendly and tail waggy to all the people and any other animals (which there are a lot less of at this clinic than at the big clinic at OSU, but he still gets to see a few, and wants to sniff and schnuck them all).

We had one minor glitch in the day when, stupidly, I grabbed a dog biscuit on the way out the door when we were leaving, and I tossed it to him, thinking I was being nice after what he just went through. He gobbled it down without hesitation, and only then did I realize the error of my ways...he was just given medication with a known side effect being: nausea! Ding ding ding ding! Smart! Within 10 minutes of being on the highway the biscuit escaped Guinness's digestive process, to put it nicely.

The thing that bothers me most about it was when we arrived home and I took him out of the car and investigated, I found it was tinged with blood. It's something I need to report tomorrow. Luckily so far no other vomiting has occurred and he's acting just fine right now. I'm not really wanting to think about the possible causes, at least for tonight, the worst of which is fearing a mass in the chest forming, but I also know the chemotherapy and all the medication he's been on is hard on his stomach. It silly I haven't called yet, but I think for the first time in a while the seriousness of his situation has hit me again, and while I don't know one way or another what the cause of the blood is, I'm giving myself a night of not worrying and will address it and face it square on tomorrow, good or bad, after a night of some pirate sleep so that I'm ready to do battle if needed. I'll let everyone know when I know more.

Thanks again EVERYONE for being here with me during all the ordeals, I feel like we're a Pirate Pup Posse, and I don't feel so alone worrying about Guinness, it means so much!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Pirate Pup Parent! I hope thst the blood is nothing.

    ReplyDelete