This blog is dedicated to the life and times of an extraordinary dog named Guinness.
All of you who knew Guinness know that I've always told him he has Puppy Powers. Despite losing his right hind leg to bone cancer (osteosarcoma) early this year, Guinness continued to be his same good-natured, food-loving, gentle, yet silly self right to the end. It was during this time his Puppy Powers turned into Pirate Puppy Powers!

Saturday, June 6, 2009

And now . . . a word from the Pirate Pup

As I lie here sitting in the grass outside, my mind wanders. First, I think: food! Then my mind drifts back to all of the members of my pack. I was surprised to learn how huge my pack actually is! I have pack members in my house fussing over me all the time, but did you know that I also have a lot of pack members that come to visit me at my house, some that live at The Animal Clinic of Chardon who give me big hugs and kisses when I visit them, pack members that are a big car ride away at Ohio State University who do the same, and even people that live in the computer that send lovely messages asking how I am doing and that check this blog to read about me. Can you believe? Just the other day I had to visit ACOC and I got to see Dr. Wendy, Jodi, Terri and Mandy. They hugged and kissed me so much that I forgot I was there for a blood test. In fact, I couldn't wait to get in the car to go there. It makes me so happy that sometimes I can't even stop wagging my tail. What else am I thinking about? Oh yeah, food! I've been getting lots of good food lately, and the alpha members of my pack have been cooking me tasty things like chicken and rice, and giving me cottage cheese...mmmm...cottage cheese...lots of things that are way better than dog food. Pack members are awesome. Speaking of pack members, what I was starting to say is, I have so many people that are worried about me, thinking about me and asking about me, and it sure makes me happy. I want to list all of them, but I think I need to sit down and make a list so I don't forget anyone. I was even told that two of the pack members that are interns from the Animal Clinic of Chardon picked me for their case studies, and that makes me really happy to know that I made such an impression on them. Anjelica, one of the interns, even asked my alpha female for photos of me. This all makes it not seem so bad being a "Pirate Pup," as I've been called. And another thing . . . oh wait, hang on, I have to go ambush the neighbors and bark at them . . .

Ok, false alarm. Sometimes I get a little carried away and there's not really anyone there. If that happens and I get tired standing there so long waiting for them that I sit down in the grass by the fence so I am ready for barking action when they come outside. It doesn't seem like I actually scare them though, and my alpha pack members tell me I sound like Chewbaca and they all kind of laugh at me. That's ok, I'm not really trying to scare them anyway, I am really just hoping they'll give me some food. And if not food, maybe they'll just pet me and let me slobber all over them. Because, that's what life's all about! That, and all the love from my huge extended pack.

Oh, gotta run, I think someone is coming down the street, gotta go see what they want! Maybe they have food.

Love,
Guinness
Pirate Pup Extraordinaire

PS - as for my blood test, it indicated that my white blood cell count has dropped a little, which is something the chemotherapy causes. I have to go back again next Thursday for another blood test before my second of four rounds of chemo on June 18th. They monitor my levels weekly to make sure I can continue to get treatments.

3 comments:

  1. Winnie and Sammie say, well done. We like special food, hugs and barking too. Teenie Greenies are our favorite, we will even come inside for those.
    OXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to be a member of your pack, Guinness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *big pirate pup slobbers to Robin and Nicole*

    ReplyDelete