This blog is dedicated to the life and times of an extraordinary dog named Guinness.
All of you who knew Guinness know that I've always told him he has Puppy Powers. Despite losing his right hind leg to bone cancer (osteosarcoma) early this year, Guinness continued to be his same good-natured, food-loving, gentle, yet silly self right to the end. It was during this time his Puppy Powers turned into Pirate Puppy Powers!

Monday, June 15, 2009

Cincinnati: a live show, an animal fest, and a new lab friend!

I have to thank Mia for holding down the fort and updating the blog so nicely for me while I was out of town!

On Friday I headed to Cincinnati for a Wilco show (no big surprise to anyone I'm sure!). While there, the next morning after checking out of our hotel room, Jen and I walked across the street over to Fountain Square, where they were setting up for something. It turned out to be a little festival on the square, and the theme this weekend was animals.

So, we walked around a bit, and met a bunch of tree frogs, an alligator, and a turtle from an exotic animal rescue group, an alpaca, and a lab that immediately brought out the Guinness-warm-and-fuzzy feelings. Rafter is a guide dog that could no longer be in the program due to skeletal problems, and Sarah is his "forever foster mom."

We talked a bit with Sarah and she and I exchanged stories about Guinness and Rafter. As I was walking away from the booth (for the second time...I kept having to return to pet him), I told her I wanted to blog my meeting with him, and mention their organization, Circle Tail, Inc. I took a brochure and read up a bit more about them, though Sarah had told me all about their mission. Circle Tail is a non-profit volunteer based organization that provides assistance dogs to people with mobility, hearing, neurologic or psychiatric disabilities. They also provide dogs for adoption, as well as offer obedience training, behavior management and boarding services. See their website (linked above) for more information, they are a great organization with a wonderful cause.

As Mia mentioned, Guinness is still doing very well, and is bursting with energy the past few days. He wants to be outside all the time with us now that the weather has turned so beautiful. He is still adamant the he does not like the back deck stairs, so I open the garage door for him, and he trots right up with no help at all. I think it's psychological, and I think the root of it is this: when he was first recovering, and he would make it up the front steps, he would be given treats, so I think it's because he's still hopeful that coming inside means FOOD! But you know what? If he wants to come up through the front steps, then that's fine with me. After all he's been put through, I can deal with his new little quirk just fine.

He'll be returning to Columbus in a few days (Thursday) for treatment #2, so I'm crossing my fingers all goes well and he'll rebound quickly again. And I must say once again, though this has been a long road treating Guinness, once again, because of his ordeal, I've met so many new
people (and now dogs, too!), and Sarah and Rafter are two more!

More from Fountain Square:

A tortise, from the exotic animal rescue group









an alpaca












and one more of Rafter


No comments:

Post a Comment