This blog is dedicated to the life and times of an extraordinary dog named Guinness.
All of you who knew Guinness know that I've always told him he has Puppy Powers. Despite losing his right hind leg to bone cancer (osteosarcoma) early this year, Guinness continued to be his same good-natured, food-loving, gentle, yet silly self right to the end. It was during this time his Puppy Powers turned into Pirate Puppy Powers!

Monday, June 1, 2009

Sleepy Puppy

Well, I knew that going into this wasn't going to be entirely easy. I consider us (and Guinness) lucky for the minimal side effects so far. About the only thing to report is that the chemo is indeed giving him some stomach upset (evidenced by his slightly more frequent visits outside, I won't be graphic, but you get my drift), and he's been pretty tired. I'm glad to see he still perks up for meal times, and for going outside. He's been really enjoying the cool weather and lounging in the grass as we do yard work. He still gets up and bounds across the yard to go bark at our neighbors, and for the first time I find myself cheering him as he does that, rather than trying to stop him!

I'll be calling the doctors to report his weekend later today, and I also will be scheduling an appointment for follow up blood work for this Thursday.

I also wanted to address my sister, Adrienne's post below. I responded in comments, but I want to officially say thank you again, tons, for your wonderful idea, it's so very thoughtful of you. I've put a permanent link on the side bar if anyone is interested, but please only do so if you can afford to and know there is no pressure at all. I will be making a shirt for her and the kids to walk in, and I am actually looking for some sort of walk or run myself, just to join her (even if it ends up being a solo run in a nearby park or something for me). Stay tuned for more information!

(Photo: Guinness with his best friend Snickers (my sister Adrienne and her family's dog) head to head doing some serious sniffing, last summer).

2 comments:

  1. Ah! HAHA Snickers has his pirate ship heart tattoo! Look on his side! I'm dying laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee, you're right! He's got his pirate tattoo in that photo!

    ReplyDelete