This blog is dedicated to the life and times of an extraordinary dog named Guinness.
All of you who knew Guinness know that I've always told him he has Puppy Powers. Despite losing his right hind leg to bone cancer (osteosarcoma) early this year, Guinness continued to be his same good-natured, food-loving, gentle, yet silly self right to the end. It was during this time his Puppy Powers turned into Pirate Puppy Powers!

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Pupdate from May 15, 2009

Here's the latest:

Guinness has been doing great. He's back to his usual routine, begging for food, waiting for Mia and Jaina to get off the bus to greet them, carrying around his funny stuffed animal I got him (who Jaina named Honkington) and greeting us at the door with his excited Wookie whining.

The only thing that we need to work on is getting him to be able to go up steps back into the house. We had 
an "incident" today in which Brett, while trying to lift him up the front steps, squeezed too close to his surgical site, and it squeezed out blood and fluids that were in the cavity. ACK!  Brett and I just stood there for a moment, totally dumbfounded. I'm not joking when I say it squirted out just like in the scene with the Black Knight in the Holy Grail. It shot out in one big, five foot stream. Brett looked closer and said it was not blood blood, but more thin fluid like, and remembered Tom said there was drainage fluid that would be reabsorbed. It just seeped out one of the areas where there were sutures. Wow. Of everything so far, that was pretty crazy.

But other than that, he continues to get more sure of himself and how he gets around. He's starting to peek around the corner when we go upstairs so I know he's thinking about coming up. I can't wait til he masters the stairs.

The girls are still handling it well, Jaina is a little more squeemish, but Mia it does not bother at all. Today she counted his stitches, and petted him on the shaved part of his fur. They're both giving him lots of love and attention.

Brett and I have been pretty tired, I think I had a huge crash yesterday, the night before I could not sleep at all, then woke up early the next day. I've been working out more than usual to try to expend this nervous energy I've had...and it all caught up with me last night. But, really, considering what's happening, it has been going well.

We also found out that we are eligible for the study at OSU, and Tom and Wendy are all for it, so they will be touching bases with the doctor in charge of the study, and we'll get that going as soon as we get the lab results and Guinness gets the green light for the chemo. We'll know more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment