This blog is dedicated to the life and times of an extraordinary dog named Guinness.
All of you who knew Guinness know that I've always told him he has Puppy Powers. Despite losing his right hind leg to bone cancer (osteosarcoma) early this year, Guinness continued to be his same good-natured, food-loving, gentle, yet silly self right to the end. It was during this time his Puppy Powers turned into Pirate Puppy Powers!

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Two days post chemo

I am happy to report that so far Guinness has had minimal side effects from the chemotherapy administered Thursday. As I mentioned before, he came home and ate, and then slept well for the most part (minus some panting, I think he had a little stomach upset). Yesterday he was pretty tired, and was on the couch most of the day, though he did get up to eat and go out, and by evening was begging for some leftover Thai food (chicken). I did not give him tramadol before bed. I had the night before, because the doctor at OSU suggested giving it again for his good leg. We discussed putting him back on it since he has arthritis in his left leg, and they thought it would help. As I have observed before though, he pants and is a little more restless when taking it, and I think he does not tolerate it well. I'll be discussing that more when we return to Columbus.

So, last night he slept very well, and this morning was more perky. He ate breakfast, hung out and begged for our breakfast, then went out and hung out for a good amount of time. When it was time to come in, before I came down the steps, I could tell he was going to try coming up on his own. M was at the bottom of the steps with him, and she encouraged him to try to go up. He did it with little hesitation, and made it all the way to the top. We cheered and gave him treats, which of course he was happy about. Yay again for Guinness!

More to come, and in the meantime I've put together a slide show starting from when we first got him (at about 10 weeks) through last weekend. 

1 comment: