This blog is dedicated to the life and times of an extraordinary dog named Guinness.
All of you who knew Guinness know that I've always told him he has Puppy Powers. Despite losing his right hind leg to bone cancer (osteosarcoma) early this year, Guinness continued to be his same good-natured, food-loving, gentle, yet silly self right to the end. It was during this time his Puppy Powers turned into Pirate Puppy Powers!

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Pupdate: May 21, 2009

Guinness continues to improve every day. The site of the surgery has healed amazingly fast, and his fur is starting to grow back. Soon it will be difficult to even see, and I imagine that one wouldn't even notice he is missing a leg unless you get right up close, or so I have been told, especially with dogs with black fur.

He's eating well, and moving around pretty good, getting used to being a pirate, though he still  won't do stairs on his own. I bought a special harness to help him up steps, but of course I measured wrong and when it came today it was very apparent that it was not going to fit. So, now I need to reorder and ship this one back. 

He's a little less energetic and carefree than he was prior to the surgery, actually I should say, prior to when he was first showing symptoms and limping on that leg. I get worried, but then I remind myself he's only just had the surgery not even two weeks ago. He definitely perks up when treats are around, and when he goes outside (in fact, one night I had to get up at 1am to let him out, and I practically had to run to keep up).

As mentioned in the side bar, Guinness will be heading to Columbus next Tuesday for his first round of chemo. He will have a dose administered, then will remain at the school for four hours under observation, and then another dose and we will return  home. I'm hoping he tolerates it well. 

The amount of support I have had from friends and family is overwhelming. Guinness has made acquaintance with so many people, people he knows, people he's just met, and also so many people I have come to know through a few forums I belong to (a design forum, a Wilco forum and the GoGetters blog). He is well loved, and it's been a big help. In fact, there are so many people asking about him, I've finally settled on this blog to keep everyone updated in one place. Keep checking back for new posts and photos.
   
Today:









May 14th:









May 13th (two days post-surgery):









No comments:

Post a Comment